Saturday, April 6, 2013

Habitual complaining.....

I have been so disgusted by our ineffective elected officials and their willingness to let good hardworking people suffer rather than do their jobs and trim the fat from our national budget.   This morning I read these quotes from Pope Francis regarding the dangers of constant complaining.  Then I looked out at my garden and the new life springing from the soil and considered the great time my family is having working together on this project and I realized that these ridiculous furloughs may turn out to be one of the nicest things we have ever lived through together.  Furlough Schmerlough!  I really needed to hear this message this morning.
They were afraid. All of the disciples were afraid,” he said. As they walked toward Emmaus and discussed everything that had happened, they were sad and complaining.“And the more they complained, the more they were closed in on themselves: They did not have a horizon before them, only a wall,” the pope said, according to Vatican Radio.The disciples had had such high hopes that Jesus would be the one who would redeem Israel, but they thought their hopes were destroyed, he said.“And they stewed, so to speak, their lives in the juice of their complaints and kept going on and on and on with the complaining,” the pope said. “I think that many times when difficult things happen, including when we are visited by the cross, we run the risk of closing ourselves off in complaints.”When all people can think of is how wrong things are going, Pope Francis said, the Lord is close, “but we don’t recognize him. He walks with us, but we don’t recognize him.”Like the disciples joined by the risen Lord on the road to Emmaus, people can hear beautiful things, but deep down, they continue to be afraid, the pope said.“Complaining seems safer. It’s something certain. This is my truth: failure,” he said.But the Gospel story shows how very patient Jesus is with the disciples, first listening to them and then explaining things step by step, until they see him.“Jesus does this with us, too,” the pope said. “Even in the darkest moments, he is always with us, walking with us.”Complaining and griping — about others and about things in one’s own life — is harmful “because it dashes hope. Don’t get into this game of a life of complaints,” he said.— The Catholic Sun


3 comments:

  1. Great post!! My husband was supposed to get furloughed. Then he told me that his department was going to cut spending in other areas to save their paychecks. While all of that is great and wonderful, I was actually looking forward to some days when my husband could be home doing things with us. It's strange to say that I was disappointed when he told me he wouldn't be getting furloughed. But next year would be about 31 days. He works so much that I am welcoming the days off, even if it is without pay, and even if I have to cut back some where. I just want my husband to have more time... outside of work. A blessing in disguise I think these furloughs will be. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting the blog Karen. I am also looking forward to my husband's furlough days. Like your husband he seldom takes a day off. What do you mean 31 days next year? Did I miss something?

      Delete
  2. One more thing!! I wish we didn't have to get furloughed and lose money (it's not our fault our elected are failing us)... BUT I welcome the time hubby will be home. ;) See you tonight! ;)

    ReplyDelete