Friday, July 26, 2013

So Beautiful....Sauce on the Stove

No Sauce is Complete
Without Fresh, Spicy Basil
Oops - Almost Forgot the Parsley 
Well the tomatoes are pureed.  We started this project with 33 pounds of Big Mama sauce tomatoes (with a few Celebrity tomatoes thrown in for good measure).  After picking the thyme, rosemary, sage, lemon balm, and oregano, I remembered that I had forgotten the basil and parsley so we were back in the garden only to discover five more pounds of ripe tomatoes!



Tomato Seeds, Skin and Cores
Ready for the Compost Pile
We had a big bowl of seeds, skins, and stems leftover and this has been added to the compost pile.


Beautiful Sauce Simmering on the Stove
The 38 pounds of pureed tomatoes filled my 16-quart stock pot to the brim.  The fresh herbs were added to the sauce which must now simmer for a day or two.  Since the pot is full, I will let it cook down a bit, and then add three cups of parmesan cheese, five minced onions and a few cloves of garlic.

The CD carousel has come full circle and
Mr. Joe Cocker is once again keeping me company.  As I gaze at the beautiful pot of sauce simmering away, I find myself agreeing with the lyrics.... you are so beautiful to me.....

No comments:

Post a Comment