Monday, June 3, 2013

This Isn't Paying Me - Value Measuring Methodology

Grow Food - Save Money?
I convinced my family to work harder on our 2013 garden in order to save money.

Surprisingly, more than a few dedicated gardeners report that their gardens cost them as much, or more, than it would for them to buy their produce at the local grocery store.

So,  I've been keeping track of the labor and expenses associated with our 2013 garden as well as our invested man-hours.  When we arrive at the end of the growing season, we will have a very accurate record of the dollars we have invested vs. the monetary value of the produce we have harvested.

To date, we are approximately $100 in the red.  However, I'm using the non-organic produce prices rather than organic.  Since we use no chemicals in the garden, my produce would actually cost more than the prices I'm recording.  However, since we will be strapped for cash when the furloughs kick in, I doubt I will be buying organic produce anyway, so the spreadsheet will remain unchanged.

What do you think?  Will we end up spending as much money, or more, on the produce we are growing?  Are you among those who question the value of putting time into the building, weeding, watering and harvesting the garden requires.  Do you ask, "If I make $$$ per hour, wouldn't it be more cost effective for me to work more hours and buy my produce at the local grocer?" 

Only time will tell.  However, whatever the bottom line reveals, I will garden as long as I  am physically able and have a piece of ground upon which to invest my time, creativity and strength. 

Why?  Well, consider this quote by an unknown author:  
There are so many men who can figure costs, and so few who can measure values.
Yes, for me it's not just about the costs, but also about measuring values.  To do that I must measure my alternatives.  Enter "Value Measuring Methodology."  I intend to research it and apply it to my gardening efforts. Stay tuned for the results.

In the meantime, feel free to weigh in on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment