Monday, June 17, 2013

Anticipation, Green Tomatoes, and Baby Figs

There is a time during the late spring, after most everything is planted, when I do nothing but weed and wait.  It is a somewhat stale period when things are growing but not quite fast enough to suit me and during which I resent every tomato, onion, and green bean I'm forced to buy from the store.  But grow they do and the anticipation builds.


This morning I wandered out to pick a few strawberries (their production is starting to pick up a bit)  and to pull a few more weeds and lo and behold I spy green tomatoes all over our tomato plants.  Not just a few tomatoes, but loads of tomatoes forming on what just a few weeks ago were those first few tomato blooms which made me dance a jig.

Upon spying the first pale green globes, I paused and I swear I could smell the sauce cooking down on the stove, pungent with my homegrown rosemary, thyme, basil and parsley - and I could taste the fresh mozzarella, basil and tomato salad which I love so much.


The tomatoes would have been enough for me, but there was more to behold.

Waltzing over to the fig tree to give it another feeding of whey, I spied the first tiny little figs beginning to form.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment