Sunday, May 5, 2013

All Things are Accomplished by Diligence and Labor

Yesterday the four of us worked in the garden from 10:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m.  When we finished, we were sore and exhausted, but it was satisfying to see all the progress we had made.

As our labors were winding down, Number #1 Son turned to survey the work we had completed, looked at me, and with a sweep of his arm cried out, "Mother, behold your kingdom."  I looked at all our progress and pronounced it good.

Son #2 offered me a small bow and a cheeky retort.  It went something like, "Mother, behold your slave labor."  Then he offered me a sheepish grin.  I smiled back and must confess that I was very tempted to spout off some pithy quote like
 "He who labors diligently need never despair, for all things are accomplished by diligence and labor." (Meander).
But I refrained.  There was no denying that it had been a very long and arduous day.  So I thanked them again for all their help and saved the pith for another time.

We were tired and hungry, but in good humor as we made our way into the house for dinner.

Here's what our diligence and labor accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment